The Maple Grove and Departments responded to a “possible explosive device” found at the Cedar Island playfields on Aug. 11, according to the Maple Grove Fire incident report. It was eventually determined the device was not explosive.
“Most ‘threats’ of bombs turn out to be nothing, but each must be taken seriously and properly investigated until proven otherwise,” Fire Chief Scott Anderson wrote in an email to Patch.
Police were initially dispatched to the scene after a resident walking his dog called in to report the device, according to the Maple Grove Police incident report. The police setup a perimeter to close the area off and called in the fire department, which advised to call the Minneapolis bomb squad. The device was investigated and they “advised there appeared to be no powder or explosive contents inside the cylinder.” Cedar Island Elementary was checked for “secondary devices,” according to the incident report, but none were found. There are currently no known suspects.
This, and the following are incidents, were responded to by the from Aug. 6 to Aug. 11, 2012 as provided by the Maple Grove Fire Department.
- 6800 block of Chesshire Lane North. Report of gas leak, complaint of gas odor in area. Fire department arrived on scene and found Center Point Energy working on repair of a gas line that had been struck by landscaping company. Crews remained on scene until line was pinched off.
- 8900 block of Vinewood Lane North, unauthorized burning.
- 14500 block of 95th Avenue North, medical assist.
- 12900 Weaver Lake Drive North, burnt food. Fire alarm from smoke detector in elevator lobby of swimming pool area - possibly due to smoke from cooking.
- 13943 63rd Place North, unauthorized burning - no permit
- East Fish Lake Road and Zinnia Way, vehicle accident, general cleanup.
- 8000 block of Shadyview Lane North, strange odor/smell.
- County Road 81 and Zachary Lane, smoke scare/odor of smoke.
- 6300 block of Quinwood Lane North, burnt food.
- 6700 block of Hemlock Lane North, bomb scare (see above).
- 8500 block of Kirkwood Lane North, unauthorized burning - no permit.
There were also calls due to false or malfunctioning alarms.